Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Pioneer Day

I live in Utah. Utah has Pioneer day on the 24th of July. It is a state holiday, which means most people get it off.
My Rants about Pioneer Day:
1. Fireworks are legal, even though it is high wild fire season, and fires burning all over the state.
2. Garbage delivery is interrupted because the sanitation workers have the day off. This means my over flowing garbage cans won't be picked up until Thursday instead of our usual Wednesday.
3. My husband used to get Pioneer day off, but not the day after Thanksgiving... how messed up is that. (I guess enough people complained, he gets the day off now.)
4. Everyone gathers with families to have BBQs at the park. There are a lot of big families in Utah. I have no extended family in Utah.
5. We have to listen to the Mormon Church history all week long...as if we don't hear it enough already! (We are not Mormon.)

4 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

My rant about Pioneer Day? People in Utah get to take the day off as a paid holiday. I work.

JulieOShields said...

Dows Montana not have a founders day? I don't think I have lived any any other state besideds utah that does. Oh well, there has to be some perks for living in Utah!

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I don't think Pioneer Day is a valid perk. I think the cons outweigh the pros when it comes to Mormon quirkiness.

JulieOShields said...

Ok, so you are right... I was trying to be positive! ;-)