Thursday, January 22, 2009

Progress Update

It has been nearly a week since I started the FitMS Challenge. I think it is going ok. I am one driven by goals and rewards. Though I don't expect a material reward for participating in the challenge, and meeting my goals everyday, there is something about putting a check in a box saying I have completed something that drives me.

I have been playing a matching game on my computer several times a day for my mind challenge. I enjoy doing the matching game, and it is quick. I can play in between classes in my lab. I am going to purchase a book of mind puzzles next month. The book has word search, math puzzles, word puzzles and many other types of activities. I could probably do the same thing on the computer, but there is something about holding a pencil and writing things.

I have been doing the easy thing for the body portion of the challenge this week. I have not been feeling well all week and found out today that I have a kidney infection. I will be on antibiotics for a while now. One of my choices for body is eating 5-9 servings of fruits and vegetables in a day. I have been eating a big salad every day for lunch. I estimate the salad as 3 servings, and then I also 3 or 4 servings of fruit throughout the day. I hope to move up to the treadmill next week, or when I am feeling better.

The last category in the challenge is Spirit. This one is where I have had the most problems. I keep thinking I will learn to knit, but haven't worked much on that this week. I have tried the meditating thing this week. I always have a hard time sleeping, so meditating while I am trying to fall asleep has worked well. Next week I will be helping out with the 4H club at the junior high school. They were looking for teachers who would be willing to share a skill. It won't be strictly volunteer, because I will be getting a small stipend for teaching though. I am going to do a google class, and teach all the many things that can be done with google. I took a class like this myself several weeks ago and loved it. I learned all kinds of fun things. I hope the students will enjoy it as much as I do.

I think my next blog post will be about all I learned in Google. Writing about it will help me plan my lessons. I think it is an 8 week class. I am excited about it.

No comments: