Wednesday, January 28, 2009

New Love

I decided I love Facebook. I used to like it because I could go and chat with people from all over the world and make new friends. I enjoyed wasting time playing poker and even got good enough to win tournaments. It was fun to see what all of my friends were thinking, through their status updates. I still like all of those things, but I have found a bigger purpose and a stronger love.

At first it was just me and my youngest sister on. My husband and children were also on. Then one by one I started collecting more family friends. Now I have a large part of my extended family as well as 5 of my 7 siblings on. It is so much fun to re-connect after a long time of just seeing each other once every few years, and occasionally talking on the phone. Facebook is like a glue for my family, piecing us all back together.

We are still spread out from Alaska to Virginia on my side of the family and from Utah to Main on my husbands side, but we regularly send messages now, and even chat from time to time. This rarely happened in the past. I have been learning all kinds of interesting facts through the notes of 25 Interesting things about me lists that we have been circulating. The lists have some new nuggets of information that I didn't know, and memories of the past and things I had forgotten over time.

Facebook helps my insecurity. I sometimes think I am an invisible person and no one can see me or hear me. Maybe that is why I talk to much. I feel more connected by reading the posts on facebook and making comments and getting the feed back from my comments. In my mind I know this is an immature way to feel, but it is what it is. I will continue my addiction to facebook, and not feel guilty about re-connecting with my family.

No comments: